This coconut yoghurt is so creamy, you won't believe that its vegan! The flavours are subtle, with a small hints of vanilla, lemon and coconut. This one won't last very long in your fridge!
I came up with this recipe for coconut yoghurt as I saw many American bloggers making what appeared to be amazing coconut yoghurt with canned coconut milk and probiotics. After several failed attempts where the coconut water separated from the milk, or there was just a weird tangy flavour from the probiotic, it suddenly dawned on me.... I live in tropical South East Asia - why don't I don't try and make it with REAL coconuts (duh!!). I also like to make this coconut yoghurt not sweet. This way I can have it with my fruit in the morning or at night with a spicy curry. Awesome!!
The trickiest part about this recipe is extracting the coconut meat from the young coconuts. Once you have done this is super quick! Throw all your ingredients (coconut meat, lemon, vanilla essence, apple cider vinegar, coconut water) into a blender, blend until real smooth, and then pour into a jar and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Coconuts are really popular right now in the health industry and for good reason. They are high in fibre & fat which will keep you fuller for longer as well as help aid digestion. This high fat content can also help your body absorb fat-soluble nutrients such as vitamins A, D, E and K. Additionally, the antibacterial properties of coconut meat can help strengthen your gut bacteria which can help fight harmful yeasts infections as well as help the body fight inflammation. Just one serving of this coconut yogurt will give you 10% of your recommended Iron intake. Perfect for vegetarians & vegans alike!
These nutrition stats are based on the recipe above, assuming a per person serving ratio of 2.
- Fibre 5g
- Protein 2.5g
- Carbs 25g
- Fat 13g
Why not try this recipe with my Crunchy Cinnamon Granola?
- 2 young coconuts extract meat, approx 300-400g
- ½ a lemon's fresh juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup fresh coconut water
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup (leave out if combining with a curry / non sweet version)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (leave out if combining with a curry / non sweet version)
- Crack open the coconuts and pour out the coconut water. Set aside
- Extract the coconut meat by scraping out with a spoon. You can break open the coconuts with a hammer to make this easier. Remove the brown husk from your coconut meat. The cleaner the meat is the smoother your coconut yoghurt will be. I'm not too fussy with this as the blender mostly gets rid of the husk
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Add more coconut water if needed to help the blender make the mixture smooth. Adding more coconut water here will also make your yoghurt more of a runny consistency. I prefer it thick
- Pour into a bowl / glass jar / glass container with an airtight seal. Refrigerate for 2hrs
Once refrigerated it will thicken. This will keep in your fridge for about 5 days. I like to have this several ways:
- On its own with maple syrup drizzled on top
- With granola and fruit
- On the side of a spicy curry (this is my favourite!!)