This creamy vegan pasta is reminiscent of the trusty Mac n Cheese, but with a smokey and slightly spicy twist! If you find the traditional Vegan Mac n Cheese a little too bland, then this one is for you!
There are few ingredients to this pasta, but once you get the hang of it you will be able to make this on a week night in less than 30 minutes. It is certainly a trusty go to for me!
You can use either sweet potato or pumpkin. You can see in the photos that this time I have actually used both, as I had a little bit left over of each.
I recommend using either a shiitake or button mushroom. Although my favourite go to will always be shiitake. A shiitake mushroom will add more flavour and taste more "mushroomy"
You can always use water instead of veggie stock, but veggie stock will always bring more flavour. I use approx 400ml for this recipe (250ml in the pasta sauce, and the other 150ml for cooking). I always prefer to cook with veggie stock rather than oil, and if I don't have any I will often just use water instead.
The Creamy Vegan Pasta Sauce
Making the pasta sauce takes a few steps, but it is incredibly easy, and will much easier the second time. In one blender cup, add your boiled cashews, boiled potato / pumpkin, garlic & brown onion (cooked), nutritional yeast, salt, smooth tofu, veggie stock, dijonnaise, smoked paprika & cayenne pepper. Blend on high until you have a very smooth consistency. I will usually blend mine for at least 2 minites
Whilst you are cooking the pasta, sautéed the mushrooms and 1 clove of garlic in a large pan.
Turn off the heat whilst you are waiting for the pasta to cook. You will use this same pan to toss the pasta, and pasta sauce through.
And there you have it! An incredibly easy, creamy vegan pasta! I have made many creamy vegan pastas, and I must say that without real cream or cheese, it always feels like it is missing something. Adding the paprika and cayenne pepper adds that extra flavour boost that creamy vegan sauces crave!
If you're looking for something to sprinkle on top, check out my vegan parmesan cheese. You can easily make this on the same night to compliment this dish!
Creamy Vegan Pasta - Smokey, and Slightly Spicy!
- 400 g shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- 270 g uncooked pasta
- 2 tablespoon olive oil for cooking, or some veggie stock for cooking (I always use veggie stock)
- 1 large sweet potato (165g) can be substituted for pumpkin
- ½ packet smooth tofu (130g)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ brown onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt I use pink himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon dijonnaise
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper add more if you like it more spicy!
- 1.5 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup veggie stock can substitute for water
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into 2cm pieces
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Add the sweet potato and cashews. Boil the sweet potatos for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cooked. Test with a fork or knife. Once cooked through, drain the water, and add the cashews and sweet potato to a blender
- Whilst the potato and cashews are cooking, sautee 2 cloves of garlic & your brown onion (both finely chopped) in a pan, with either olive oil or veggie stock. Once the onions have browned (approx 3 minutes), transfer to the blender with the cashews and sweet potato
- In the same saucepan, add 1 clove of garlic & the sliced shitake mushrooms. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes with olive oil or veggie stock. Turn off heat once ready
- Cook your pasta as per the packet instructions (al dente)
- Add the smooth tofu, salt, dijonaise, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, and veggie stock to the blender. Blend on high until very smooth. I blend mine for at least 2 minutes
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the saucepan with the mushrooms. Turn the heat back on, and pour over the pasta sauce from the blener cup. Slowly stir through the sauce. Stir for approximately 1 minute. Turn of the heat and serve straight away!