Marinated tempeh skewers are a great alternative to a traditional meat kebab. If you like tempeh, then this will become your new favourite vegan BBQ recipe. No longer are you confined to only the salad section at the family BBQ. Beautifully decorated with colourful capsicum, these marinated tempeh skewers are super easy to make, ultra tasty, and take very little time!
There are many ways you can marinate tempeh. This recipe uses my favourite combination. There are a few reasons why this recipe is my favourite, and they are:
- Its quick! No chopping required. All of the ingredients are on hand in the kitchen
- Its tasty! Tempeh absorbs flavour extremely well, making it perfect for marinating
- The ground cumin & chilli powder make it taste like you could almost be having some sort of a meat kebab
I won't go too much into marinated tempeh, or what exactly tempeh is. You can read more about tempeh and marinating it in my blog article here
Choosing Your Marinated Tempeh Skewers Veggies
There are many veggies you can choose to decorate and add extra flavour to your skewers. There are a few things you want to consider when choosing which veggies to add:
- Easily able to slice and penetrate onto the skewer stick
- When cooking that it won't turn mushy and fall off
- Texture. I have chosen capsicum because it adds crunchiness. You could also balance this out with something softer, like mushrooms
- Are you cooking them immediately? Or keeping them in the fridge. Capsicum is good choice if you are saving them in the fridge for the next few days. It generally keeps fresher for longer compared to other vegetables
Veggies that go well on tempeh skewers:
- Capsicum (as used here)
- Red onion
- Brussel sprouts
Try it with...
I love making these skewers on a Sunday night to have with my Pomegranate Salad With Quinoa & Chickpeas. I also make extra for the next few days as part of my meal planning / meal prepping. Its a great simple, easy, healthy and tasty meal to re heat when I get home from work.
Marinated Tempeh Skewers
- 1-2 capsicums
- 4 skewer sticks
- ⅓ cup soy or tamari sauce
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder or more if you like it spicy!
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Slice fresh tempeh into cubes / squares. About 2cm in size
- Add tempeh, soy sauce, chilli powder, salt & cumin to the marinade bag. Seal the marinade bag and shake until all tempeh is covered and spices have evenly spread
- Lay marinade bag on its side for 10 mins+
- Pre heat oven to 180° or 350F
- Slice capsicum into 2cm sized pieces
- Skewer the tempeh cubes, and capsicum pieces as you like
- Cook skewers on the BBQ for 7-10 minutes, or bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes
- Serve hot!