Tofu Scrambled Egg is the perfect "egg" replacement in a vegans life. I can't count how many times I've heard someone say "I could do vegan...but I couldn't go without eggs"
Introducing scrambled tofu! I used to love eggs because they are easy snack. If you have some eggs & milk in the fridge then a quick, high protein snack or breakfast is always possible to you.
The great thing about this recipe is that it is exactly just that! If you're a vegan then there is a good chance that you keep all of these ingredients on hand anyway. If you don't,then you should start!
Tofu Scrambled Egg - The Ingredients
The combination of the silken + firm tofu for this recipe creates that cooked / undercooked texture to your scramble that perfectly mimics its eggy counterpart. Make sure to break apart your firm tofu with a fork first, before adding in your silken tofu
I have also made this recipe with only firm tofu, and only silken tofu. Both work. Your firm tofu being the "more cooked egg" & silken tofu mimicking a "less cooked egg". Personally I believe mixing the two creates the best result!
Black Salt - Kala Namak
The black salt in this recipe is the key ingredient. You can make it without it, but you get that eggy flavour, essentially making the recipe quite bland and tasteless.
Kala Namak, also known as Black Salt or Himalayan Black Salt, has a sulphurous smell thanks to its sulphur content. This smell will fill your kitchen as you whisk it together with the soy milk, nutritional yeast, & turmeric.
Scrambled Tofu - Pan Frying
Add your tofu mix & wet mix to hot pan. I like to use ½ tablespoon of vegan butter to fry it in. Stir the mixture and then cover for 5 approximately 5 minutes on low heat, stirring once. Its ready to service once the tofu has absorbed all of the liquid.
This is awesome served up with a piece of sourdough toast and some vegan bacon. Here you can see my version of vegan bacon. Im working hard to make a gluten free bacon. Post coming soon!
Scrambled Tofu - Nutrition
This is an awesome protein packed snack, or a complete breakfast for one on its own.
Nutrition For Whole Serving:
- Calories: 254
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 13g
Nutrition For 1 Serving (2 / Serve)
- Calories: 127g
- Protein: 14.5g
- Fat: 6.5g
Looking for more vegan breakfast recipes?
Are you looking for some more high protein vegan breakfast recipes? Why not check out some my other favourite breakfast recipes. I love to add vegan protein powder to many of my breakfast recipes
Tofu Scrambled Egg
- 150 g firm tofu
- 50 g silken tofu optional, used to make a runnier scrambled egg. Use 150grams of firm tofu for a firmer scramble
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black salt Kala Nemak
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter for frying
- 1 sprinkle chopped parsley for garnishing optional
- In a small bowl, break apart the firm tofu with a fork
- Add the silken tofu to the bowl and mix together with firm tofu
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the soy milk, black salt, nutritional yeast, & turmeric
- Bring a frypan to high heat and add the vegan butter
- Add the tofu mixture & the liquid mixture to the frypan and stir until combined
- Turn the heat down to low, and simmer with a cover on for up to 5 minutes, stiring once whilst simmering
- Once the tofu has absorbed all of the liquid, turn of heat and serve!
- Serve with cracked pepper and some chopped parlsey (optional)