Smashed baked potatoes is the easiest way to make delicious crunchy potatoes.... with no other ingredients required!
If you're looking for the simplest, most efficient, yet tasty & deliciously crunchy potatoes, then you have come to the right spot!
To Peel, Or Not To Peel?
This method works just fine either way. If you choose to not peel the potatoes just make sure that they are thoroughly washed! I have made this recipe both ways. I only peel the potatoes if they are particularly dirty / unwashed when I buy them.
- Use approximately 6 medium size white potatoes (peeled or not peeled)
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees or 350F
- Chop the potatoes into approximately eighths
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread chopped potatoes evenly
5. Bake potatoes in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until potatoes start to turn slightly brown
6. Remove potatoes from the oven once they have started to turn slightly brown. The photo above is a good reference point for how brown your potatoes should look
7. Using a hand held masher, smash the potatoes
8. Put the smashed baked potatoes back in the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes, until desired crispiness has been achieved.
9. Remove potatoes from the oven and serve!
Optional Dressing: Olive Oil, Lemon, & Salt
A great flavour booster for these smashed baked potatoes is olive oil, lemon, & salt. In a bowl mix the following:
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- The juice of half a lemon
- ½ teaspoon of salt
After you take the potatoes out of the oven and smash them (after step 7), drizzle the dressing over the potatoes. Lightly toss through the potatoes to make sure they are covered. Put the potatoes back in the oven and proceed as usual to step 8.
Try it with...
Smashed Baked Potatoes
- 6 medium white potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ lemon, juice of
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven to 180° or 350F
- Thoroughly was 6 medium sized white potatoes. Peel the potatoes if you want. If you wash them well enough peeling is not required
- Chop the potato in eighths
- Line baking tray with baking paper, and evenly spread the chopped potato
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are starting to brown
- Remove from oven, and using a hand held masher, smash the potatoes
- Put smashed potatoes back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes, or until desired crispiness has been acheived
- Mix ¼ cup of olive oil, ½ teaspoon of salt, and the juice of ½ a lemon in a bowl
- After removing the potatoes from the oven (step 6), drizzle the mixed oil over the potatoes, Lightly shuffle the potatoes to ensure each potato is covered
- Proceed with step 7