Why Vegan Meal Prep?
Vegan meal prep has become an amazing habit in my life that has transformed my health and lifestyle tremendously. It has freed up my time during the week (otherwise spent cooking), and relieved me of the daily decision making process when it comes to making lunch or cooking dinner. With meticulous planning, it is nearly impossible to fail your goals!
At first I scoffed at the idea of meal prepping. For starters, the thought of eating the same thing two days in a row sounded boring, and I hated the idea of not eating something fresh! Therefore, I decided to create interesting, healthy, & tasty vegan plans for myself. Each meal ensures that it can either be eaten fresh (no reheating), or that reheating doesn't alter the taste, freshness, or yumminess!
Vegan Meal Prep Idea: Tempeh Skewers With Pomegranate & Potato Salad
Simple head over to each recipe to see exactly how to make the tempeh skewers & salad. To make things easier for you, I have also outlined the process below.
Meal Prepping Process
1. Prepare 3 x Heat Safe Glass Dishes
I only ever prepare 3 x days at time. Keeping food in the fridge for more than 3+ days is not only unsafe, but won't keep fresh and therefore loses its taste! I recommend for you to use glass ovenware over plastic for two reasons:
- Plastic is bad for the environment! Limit use of plastic at all costs
- Use the glass container to reheat in the oven, or microwave immediately. No double handling required!
- Reheating plastic in the microwave releases toxic chemicals into your food
- Reheating food in the oven tastes way better than microwave reheated food (trust me!)
2. Know Your Macros & Calorie Goals
Assuming you are trying to follow a meal plan, this step is important and should be done as part of your overall vegan diet plan.
3. Use Scales & Measuring Cups
Don't guess! If you want results you need to carefully measure out your quantities to know exactly what you are having, Remember meticulous planning is the only way to fail proof your goals!
Tempeh Skewers With Pomegranate & Quinoa Salad
Each meal consists of two parts, the tempeh skewers + the salad. Each component plays an important part in achieving the follow calories and macros:
- Calories: 460
- Protein: 27g
- Carbs: 65g
- Fat: 12g
Each Meal Contains:
- 100 grams of tempeh 190 calories
- 190 grams of raw white potato 170 calories
- 30 grams of pomegranate seeds 25 calories
- ¼ cup of cooked quinoa 55 calories
- SALAD INGREDIENTS: capsicum, lettuce, parsley, spring onion, red onion, cherry tomato & lemon juice for dress allow 15 - 20 calories all up
To make exactly 3 meals with the calories and macros above, you will need the following:
- Approximately 5 medium sized white potatoes
- ¼ cup of uncooked quinoa
- ½ an iceberg lettuce
- ½ a large pomegrante
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1 spring onion
- ½ small red onion
- ½ punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 1 x lemon for juicing
- 6 skewer sticks
- 2-3 capsicums
- ⅓ cup soy or tamari sauce
- ½ tsp chilli powder or more if you like it spicy!
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
Vegan Meal Prep Instructions
- Prepare the Pomegranate Salad With Potato & Quinoa
- Put ¼ cup of uncooked quinoa in the rice cooker. Leave to cook whilst preparing other ingredients
- Prepare the potatoes. Follow this Smashed Baked Potato Salad recipe
- Prepare all salad ingredients (lettuce, pomegranate, parsley, spring onion, red onion, cherry tomatoes & lemon juice)
- Evenly distribute all salad ingredients to each glass dish
- Once the quinoa has finished cooking, use a ¼ measuring cup to add to each glass dish
- Once the potatoes are finish cooking, evenly distribute between the 3 containers. Remember to weight your raw potatoes before cooking to make sure you are hitting your calorie & macro goals
- Seal and pack the containers in the fridge
- Whilst the potatoes & quinoa are cooking, marinate the tempeh and make the tempeh skewers. Tips:
- Use an even number of skewers that you can easily divide up over 3 nights
- I like to make 2 x skewers per meal, which equals 6 x skewers in total
- Make sure to measure out 300 grams of tempeh before getting started
- Follow this recipe here
- Once you have finished, put your skewers in an airtight container or seal with a wrap and put in the fridge
3. Serving the meal
On the night of serving you meal, follow these steps:
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees or 350F
- Take the salad from the fridge. Remove potato pieces and set aside for the moment
- Drizzle the salad with lemon juice and pour onto a dinner plate
- Place the smashed potatoes back in the oven safe dish
- Add tempeh skewers to the oven safe dish
- Bake / reheat in the oven for approximately 10 minutes
- Remove from oven. Toss hot potatoes through the salad
Check out this quick video to follow from meal prepping, right to serving it the next day!