A delicious vegan pesto pasta recipe that is healthy, oil free, and nut free. Make this easy vegan pesto pasta in less than 30 minutes!
Vegan Pesto Pasta Ingredients
The main ingredient for this recipe is of course the vegan pesto. I use the vegan pesto from one of my previous recipes. If you want to know more about substitutes, or any other tips regarding the vegan pesto, you can read more about it here. Otherwise, you can just trust me that it is DELICIOUS. Despite being oil free, nut free, & dairy free!
Basil Pesto Ingredients:
- Fresh basil
- Nutritional yeast
- Hemp hearts
- Fresh garlic
- Fresh lemon juice
- Pink Himalayan salt
Looking for a substitute on the above? Check out my vegan basil pesto blog article here.
You can choose any type of pasta and cook as per the packet instructions. I prefer to use penne pasta because the hollow shell collects the basil sauce inside. Yum!!
Tomatoes. Sun-dried or Fresh?
For additional flavour, add either cherry tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes. The sweet flavour of tomato combines perfectly with the 'cheesy' pesto. Sometimes I feel like fresh tomatoes, and other times I prefer sun-dried. It's up to you!
Cherry tomatoes are a less salty, and cost effective option. I will substitute for sun-dried tomatoes if Im making this for guests, or to take to a dinner party.
I like to add tofu chicken to this penne pasta to give it that protein kick! Only 2 ingredients are needed. Nutritional yeast & tofu. Break apart the tofu, mix in the nutritional yeast, and bake for 10 minutes. Thats it! You can read more about this recipe in my blog article here
Vegan Pesto Pasta Tips
- This recipe is AWESOME for meal planning. This is because it tastes best when its cold!
- Because it is oil free, make sure to eat it straight away OR if your are meal prepping, use some lemon juice or olive oil to mix through right before eating
- If you are taking this dish to a party either do the following:
- Stir in the pesto sauce right before serving
- Stir in about ¼ cup of olive oil to stop it from sticking
- Make the pesto as usual, but take some lemon juice with you to stir through right before serving
- Don't forget to add some cracked pepper and a little bit of salt!
Vegan Pesto Pasta. Oil & Nut Free
- 1 packet of penne pasta 240 grams
- 1 cup fresh cherry tomatoes, or sundried tomatoes
- 1-2 pinches of cracked pepper to serve
- 1-2 pinches of high quality salt to serve
- ½ cup pine nuts optional
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 8 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 6 tablespoon fresh lemon juice juice of about 1-2 lemons
- 4 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 4 tablespoon pepitas
- 6 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon himalayan salt
- ⅓ cup water
Vegan Tofu Chicken (Optional)
- 100 grams firm tofu
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch of salt
- Cook pasta as packet instructions
- Slice cherry tomatoes or sundried tomatoes in halves
- Make vegan pesto as per the recipe below
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve! Sprinkle some tofu chicken for an extra protein addition
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend smooth
Vegan Tofu Chicken
- Pre heat oven to 350F or 180° and a line baking tray with baking paper
- In a bowl, break apart the firm tofu with a fork or with your fingers. Break into rough small sized pieces
- Add nutritional yeast (and salt if using) to the bowl. Stir with the tofu until all nutritional yeast is stuck to / combined with the tofu
- Evenly spread the tofu along the lined baking tray
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and sprinkle over your pesto pasta